Thursday, January 14, 2010

Pepto-Bismol vs. Jello Water

When I was growing up, my mom stopped buying this stuff to soothe our stomachs and she had apparently never heard of Jello water as a cure for diarrhea. We relied on Kaopectate and 7up to get us through these nasty little viruses. As I became a mother, I learned of the "BRAT" diet (broth, bananas, rice, applesauce, & toast) which is intended to keep small children from dehydration without giving them medicines that may do more harm than good to their innocent intestinal systems. Then, I got married.

I still remember the first time my husband asked me for hot jello water... I thought he was nuts! Jello water? Seriously?! Then I had a stomach flu that I couldn't get rid of and, out of desperation, tried it. There are some specifics to the recipe that one must know. A) The water must be hot enough to dissolve the gelatin. B) Add Jello to taste. C) Drink it before it goes cold or it will consolidate in your straw. Sipping Jell-o water around the clock will settle your stomach and stop the runs when nothing else will. As an added bonus, the flavorful warmth can be very comforting.

And we all know we need something to comfort us on the day when indoor plumbing becomes are closest friend and favorite blessing.

No comments:

Post a Comment