Saturday, July 31, 2010

Brown M&M's

Have you ever purchase the full pound of M&M's just to run your fingers through the candy? The smooth sugar-coating rolling across your fingertips and falling into the bag like a percussion instrument smelling of cocoa... mmm... Yesterday, I shared some M&M's with my little ones. They're a great way to learn colors and counting (although a great grandmother would probably point out the mini's as an even better option for a teaching tool!) My three year old son spontaneously began an alteration to our game - matching. He would pick up an M&M piece, say the color and ask where the match was on the bag. He wouldn't eat it until he found the match. Can you guess which color he got stuck on? That's right! Brown.

There is no brown M&M character to be found in the commercials or on the bag. I remember hearing a bit of a controversy about it... something along the lines of the candy company being racist or something. Of course, there is only one female M&M and she's so "hawt" teens at my high school either ate her on purpose or avoided her like the plague for fear of any additional spur to the already raging hormones. So, what about the brown?

I think it should be pointed out that a brown M&M character would get lost in the chocolate. He (or she) would have to be masked and wear a cape (i.e., Zorro) to stand out from the chocolatey background of the bag. When looking for a picture to post with this blog, I came across an image of the green M&M undressed and it occured to me that all of the M&M's are brown underneath that colorful candy shell. Must be why the Doc and the Wedding Planner tossed the others for artificial health reasons. One way or the other, I think the brown ones keep tune to my cravings for sugar-coated-cocoa percussions just as well as the others in the bag. I can't wait for a purple one to join the crew. Taste that rainbow.

2 comments:

  1. Here's a blast from the past that will hurt your brain...Remember when there were TWO brown M&M's? The light brown and the dark brown? Hello 1985.

    ReplyDelete