Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Miracles

My husband said something to me the other night that has had me pondering the definition of the word "miracle" and what it means in my life. He basically said that he felt it was a miracle that I married him in the first place, but even moreso that I'm still here.

"Miracle" is defined as "an extraordinary event manifesting divine intervention in human affairs"... the first thing that occurred to me in reading this definition is that it's a bit sad that the affairs of the flora and fauna of the Earth are without the divine (yes, read with sarcasm) and secondly, that it is absolutely a miracle that I met, married, and remain with this very human man.

Tonight, my life was graced with another moment of divine intervention... though some may note it as ordinary... and it came in the form of Ursa Major - the Great Bear. Today was not a good day. It isn't that anything extraordinarily awful took place, but, my responses to all of the little things were petty and prideful and I knew it. Tonight, I ran away from home long enough to wear myself out and begin to pray... "Father I don't know what to do about today, except begin again tomorrow." Looking up at that moment, I saw an unfamiliar constellation. It was the second time I'd seen it this week and I felt a sudden urgency to return home and find out what I was looking at. It has turned out that in that constellation, I found my answers.

Miracles happen. There is a divine, active Parent loving me through this life. This fact doesn't mean that everything will come easy or with immediate understanding, only that it will lead to something better.

1 comment:

  1. I love this post. It's amazing to me how quietly, but how profoundly the Lord speaks to us in the very ways that He knows we will hear Him.

    ReplyDelete