Friday, November 2, 2012

Flash Dance Hair

This morning, I woke up with flash dance hair.  Big, curly, wild and brown.  My hair, like my life, is never the same.  Sometimes, that's just me getting adventurous and shaking things up... like that one time I thought I'd go black for my birthday and found out that black is never temporary.  I say "shaking" it up, but even that really isn't necessary. My hair won't do the same thing two days in a row.  It's so obstinate in its originality that I've regretted any time I've ever gotten a hair cut intended for a single style.  It just doesn't work out.  Sameness and status quo do not go together with me.  I've learned a lot about flexibility and taking each day as it comes from having hair with a mind of its own.  I really have to wake up prepared to handle anything.  I need a plan and a contingency plan.  I need parameters of just how relaxed and/or professional my hair needs to be that day and a bundle of tools to get it there.  But, I don't like to waste my time on my hair.  Managing my hair has become an exercise in quick and creative thinking and I do it on a deadline.  I also regularly stand out in a crowd or become anonymous as people who should know who I am don't take the time to see my features -- only my hair.  Who knew hair that declares its independence daily would be a window into human psychology?

I wonder what it's like for people who have one hair style their whole life.  Are their opinions limited, their judgement exclusive, their day as dull ... as their hair?

No comments:

Post a Comment