Saturday, September 18, 2010

Dancing Music and Madonna

Long before I knew what lyrics like, "get into the groove, boy you've got to prove you're love to me", I could feel the "fire" of the music pulsing through my body. Decades later of listening to Madonna and her contemporaries and living life well beyond the "end of the innocence", I know that some of the power of the music is the sensuality in it. Let's face it - I like sex in my music. I just don't like it Lady Ga Ga style. I want the metaphor and the mystery. Watch a belly dancer and you will know there is power in the veil.

My musical tastes range from Mozart to Madonna, from Dvorak to Def Lepard, from Sinatra to Shakira, but I find myself a little picky about my individual song preference. Just as I may not appreciate every word that falls from my favorite poet's pen, a song must get into my veins before it will become a favorite. That said, I haven't loved every song on a Madonna album since the Immaculate Collection. (And I was teenaged enough to love everything on it then.) Lately, I prefer the tribal, the rustic, or the refined - the drum and the violin - and that may be because all of the instant gratification behind the techno beat technology has lead modern musicians to believe baring it all is sexy.

It's not.

No comments:

Post a Comment