Sunday, May 9, 2010

Mother's Day

History of Mother's Day

The above link to the history of Mother's Day is an interesting read about a woman who wanted to honor her own mother and allow other, individual families to do the same. She spent her life and her fortune fighting against the political, social, and commercial "monster" she'd created.

I wish she'd won.

Mother's Day is one of my least favorite holidays. I like my "I love you's" year-round and do not appreciate the pressure my family feels to spend money we don't have on this day. I don't like the pressure of all the attention and "honor" of the day. Motherhood has been such a gift to me. However, being a mother has not, instantaneously, made me into some noble and perfected being. The office is noble, indeed - but, I am not perfect in my mothering.

Spending a full day, publicly honoring me (and mothers like me) is a slap in the face to women who want desperately to be mothers and have never married or have been unable to have children or whose babies have passed away and are reminded, again and again, that their arms are empty.

I'm with Anna. Enough already.

1 comment:

  1. That being said... I really enjoyed spending time with my own mom yesterday. (She only comes out for "special" occasions lately.) I also need to invest in a box for all of the handwritten notes. I'm sure I'll get teary-eyed later over those.

    My hubbie invested in this gorgeous piece of turquoise for me... more to come on that. Thanks for the thoughtful kindness everyone.

    ReplyDelete