Friday, May 7, 2010

To Beard or NOT to Beard




Once upon a time, I kissed a boy and I liked it. Then, I married a man who couldn't grow a beard. There were some excuses about the 1/8th Choctaw blood in his genes disallowing the process to actually take place. Only a few splotchy patches here and there could ever creep in enough to get a decent goatee. Testosterone replacement therapy anyone?


I'm kidding. (And this is NOT the reason I divorced him ... really!) A whole lot of men walk this planet without facial hair. It's a sign of cleanliness and discipline. If you've seen some of the scraggly beards running around on men who also do not brush their teeth, you probably agree. However, my current cutie grows a great beard. Give him two weeks, and it's full and soft. We aren't sure (for lack of opportunity to test the theory), but we're thinking that in 6 months without trimming he could be sporting a regular Rip Van Winkle style. (Not that we plan on testing this!)


It makes me CRAZY that his workplace has some "missionary" dress requirements that state no facial hair. An uprising in the meat department led to the general admission that a well-trimmed moustache is okay. When is a MOUSTACHE ever okay?! (Unless you're Brad Roghaar or my Grandpa Hank who keeps his in a waxed handlebar.) You'd think he could claim his Scottish heritage on this one and show up in a khaki kilt and beard.

So... what are we hoping for in a career? You got it. Someplace where the men who have enough testosterone to be men, and grow soft, sexy beards for their wives back home are not discriminated against by the men who can't.

2 comments:

  1. My dad can't, lol. Thomas has never tried. I guess being in the military doesn't allow for that sort of thing. Maybe someday. . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. O! To rant online and inadvertantly insult men you KNOW are REAL men. ;)

    ReplyDelete