Thursday, May 27, 2010

Simple Sculpture

Susan Lordi is the sculptor of the Willow Tree line. These simple, faceless sculptures of precious moments have always drawn me to them. There is something about the way she's captured the tilt of the head, the curve of a hand - the way that the mothers, fathers, and lovers bend toward one another and stay...
Today, a sweet neighbor and friend of mine shared several of her WillowTree sculptures with me. She found that she didn't have room for all of the ones she'd been given since she was married a few years back and offered them to me. I was thrilled to accept them and completely unprepared for the emotions they would evoke. "Cherish - awaiting a miracle", "Together" and "Promise" speak to moments I am uncertain of finding in my life again. Of course, the only thing I ever plan to be pregnant with is a story. So, this is the least bittersweet... the intimate connection of the other faceless couples can be noted from across the room. Unlike my own.

1 comment:

  1. I've always LOVED these sculptures. They just touch some hidden place in my heart.

    ReplyDelete