Saturday, April 30, 2011

Kitchen Countertops

I'm one of those rare women who doesn't mind a galley for a kitchen.  I know this is strange since I am also the mother of five.  It would make more sense to have space to spread out, make room, and get cookin'.  But, I have to say, that limited counter space in the kitchen is good for my family because there are limits.  I guess I'm weird about the kitchen.  I don't know the contents of every cupboard down to the last cookie crumb because I am not the only one who goes in there.  This has its pluses and minuses. 

On the plus side: my 15, 14, and 12 year olds can all cook meals and not just macaroni and cheese.  This is fantastic news for those days when I'm too sick or not home to do it. 

On the minus side: There are times when I reach for a box of something I need and find it ... EMPTY.  grrr. 

Also, as much as my girls like to go all Food Network Chef in the kitchen, they have a difficult time with the clean up portion.  And I have yet to become one of those moms that follows behind people saying, "Rinse out your bowl.  Put the mayonnaise away. Wipe off the counter when you're finished."  Sometimes, I do this.  I've even given demonstrations on how to clean up as you go and purchased books that recommend doing the same thing.  At the end of the afternoon, there is not countertop space in my kitchen.  I love to find it though.  I am in love with clean countertops.

So much so that when I hear a, "Mom, I feel like baking..." (an automatic response in my house to a clean kitchen countertop.)  I have learned to take a deep breath and just say no.

No comments:

Post a Comment