Saturday, April 23, 2011

Prince Caspian 2008




Last night, I finally saw this movie all the way through.  Now that the family home theatre is all set up, we've been having fun with movies-mom-hasn't-seen-though-we've-played-them-a-thousand times.  I must confess that I have never read the complete series by C.S. Lewis, though I have every intention to do so.  Other books keep getting in the way.  Or, the calendar does -- I started out reading with this as our family read out loud book, but lately, we rarely have everyone home.  I was delighted to find so many subtle applications of Christianity throughout the story.  I'm sure there is no way to tell this story and avoid them.  Lewis wasn't just a theologian, he believed in practical, everyday religion that changes who you are, and those lessons are definately here without being all up in your face about it.

I was not surprised to find that the WETA Workshop in New Zealand had their hands in the costume and weapons creations.  These are truly fine quality.  I was surprised again at the quality of the acting in this film.  So many "children's" movies are just cheesy and overdone (one the light and dark sides), but this one is decidedly not. I can't get over the expressiveness of Georgie Henley's (Lucy) face and have every confidence that she will be able to grow as much as the story does.

I think my favorite part of this movie, was just when the fight scene is ending...Prince Caspian refuses to take the life of his uncle in revenge for the death of his father because he does not want to become that sort of king.  It says a lot about him.  What happens next is very telling of the world -- oh, the treachery!  Was anyone else shocked when the other lord betrays the Usurper King, blaming it on the Narnians, and the General changes his loyalties to match this brand new wind?  I didn't see it coming.  Yet, it didn't surprise me. 

There were subtilties within the story that the director/writer/actors did a good job of implying without showing the details -- the many lives lost at the castle battle, for example, or the three men killed by the general as propoganda against the Narnians for troop morale. 

I was impressed with the crew names as well, seriously the most diverse crew I've ever seen.  Though it helps that the movie was filmed in places like Poland and Slovenia, with New Zealanders working costumes, and actors from the UK.  And now, I don't know how to finish this blog.  Though it was a good movie, I don't know if I'll every watch it from start to finish again.  hmmm...

No comments:

Post a Comment